What would an occasion be without a little chocolatey treat? ?Whether it is Valentines Day, Easter, Christmas or your birthday, there’s nothing nicer than a little bit of chocolate – and if you’re a fan of peanut butter, then this recipe is right down your street.
I love that this recipe is perfect for kids. ?Once you have heated some of the ingredients for them, you can let them take if from there. ?Be prepared for a mess, but also lots and lots of fun!
I have used almond milk in this recipe for those with dairy allergies. ?I also used Flahavans oats as they are a staple here at Hunters Lodge.
It’s a while since my own children were little, so for this recipe, I asked Ruth (my baby -ok, so she has just turned 15) and her friend Laura to take photos to accompany the recipe. ?I truly believe that no matter their age, encouraging children to use their creativity and imagination is vital. ?With the help of some props, their DSLR cameras and a LOT of giggling interspersed with what sounded like serious discussion, I present to you their work!
30ml almond milk
2tbsp coconut oil
16g???? cocoa powder
100g ? peanut butter
? tsp? vanilla extract
- ?Put the almond milk, coconut oil, sugar and cocoa powder in a pot.
- Stir on a low heat until all the ingredients are warm and melted through.
- Remove the pot from the heat.
- Allow to cool slightly and this is where the children take over!
- Add the oats and peanut butter and mix well (it should have a dough like consistency).
- Add the vanilla extract and stir through.
- Place a piece of parchment on a tray and divide the dough into 8 pieces.
- Shape into cookies and place on the parchment.
- Leave to set in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Store in the fridge in a sealed container for up to one week.
I have made these using more coconut oil, and cocoa powder, but I think the measurements above are a good balance between healthy oaty cookies and a delicious chocolatey treat. ? And they’re not just for kids either!
I hope you have lots of fun making them.
PS: Huge thanks to Ruth and Laura for their photographs!